I had a faint memory of cleaning house one day, washing walls. I had grabbed a cleaner, 409 it was, and began to scrub without noticing that it said on the bottle: do not use on painted surfaces. It began to dissolve the paint on the walls. I saw the paint color on the cleaning rag–and quickly stopped. Now, looking looking with sad bewilderment at St.Tabitha, I remembered that day.
Hmmm. Latex paint is like acrylic paint. Perhaps putting 409 on a cotton ball and wiping it on the offending areas would work.
I tried it. I wiped it gently, nothing happened. Then I took a stiff little paint brush and carefully scrubbed the 409 in small circles. This did seem to be working. I wiped the chemical cleaner off with a moist paper towel and left the icon to dry.
It seemed to have worked. I can still see the error, but not as distinctly. I put another coat of paint over it, after painting in the lettering. I didn’t want to lose those painstakingly drawn letters under too many coats of paint! I think this is working. (huge sigh of relief here). I continue to highlight the face and hands, all areas of the icon, and grow near to completing the image of St.Tabitha.